Trucks are prohibited...but you are always welcome

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I can't think of a good title.

Once, I decided that I would try to start biting my nails. Why? Because I liked the idea of being "the girl who bites her nails." Like, my friends would look at me and say, "Oh that Stephanie just can't stop biting her nails..." or my boyfriend would look at the gnawed remnants of my fingernails and just smile and shake his head... and I liked that idea. So I tried to start a habit of chewing my fingernails, but unfortunately it just didn't take. My fingernails are incredibly strong and by the time I remembered I was supposed to chew them, they were already too long and strong for my poor teeth to demolish. Not that I don't have other nervous habits; I'm a compulsive lip-chewer, jewelry-player-wither, and hummer...but I don't like the idea of those as much. Oh well. Have you ever decided to adopt something as part of your identity, just for kicks? Did it take?

2 comments:

  1. That's funny. I AM the girl who bites her nails. And I hate it. My front teeth are weak because of it, my husband is annoyed by it, and my nails are short and stubby. Even my French manicure on my wedding day looked ridiculous.

    I think people do this often; claim habits and traits as part of their identity. I think that's where things like anorexia often start. I remember one time I lost a dramatic amount of weight, and everyone was so concerned that I wanted to loose more to keep getting the attention. I guess when we don't put our identity completely in Christ, we have to have something to fill the gaps.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right :) that goes along with what i've been thinking about, which is how your source of identity shapes your life

    ReplyDelete